From 1892 to 1954, over twelve million immigrants entered
the United States through the portal of
Island, a small island in New York Harbor. Ellis Island is located
in the upper bay just off the New Jersey coast, within the shadow of
the Statue of Liberty. Through the years, this gateway to the new world
was enlarged from its original 3.3 acres to 27.5 acres mostly by landfill
obtained from ship ballast and possibly excess earth from the construction
of the New York City subway system.
Prior to 1890, the individual states (rather than the
Federal government) regulated immigration into the United States. Castle
Garden in the Battery (originally known as Castle Clinton) served as
the New York State immigration station from 1855 to 1890. These early
immigrants came from nations such as England, Ireland, Germany and the
Scandinavian countries and constituted the first large wave of immigrants
that settled and populated the United States. Throughout the 1800's
and intensifying in the latter half of the 19th century, ensuing political
instability, restrictive religious laws and deteriorating economic conditions
in Europe began to fuel the largest mass human migration in the history
of the world. It soon became apparent that Castle Garden was ill-equipped
and unprepared to handle the growing numbers of immigrants arriving
yearly. Unfortunately compounding the problems of the small facility
were the corruption and incompetence found to be commonplace at Castle
The Federal government intervened and constructed a
new Federally-operated immigration station on Ellis Island. While the
new immigration station on Ellis Island was under construction, the
Barge Office at the Battery was used for the processing of immigrants.
The new structure on Ellis Island, built of "Georgia pine", opened on
January 1, 1892.
Wall of Honor: The Nakkerud Family
New York Harbor, this beautiful
the largest wall of names in the world. Located in the shadow of Ellis
Island's historic Main Building and the Statue of Liberty, The American
Immigrant Wall of Honor is a 664 feet long, 4 feet 10 inches high, double
sided, semi-circular wall and a 213 feet long adjacent addition which
bears the names of nearly 600,000 individuals and families engraved
on stainless steel panels as a tribute to our nation's immigrant heritage.
Ellis Island is the only national monument where any American can place
a name in tribute.
If you visit The Wall, go over to panel
309 and you will find "The Nakkerud Family". Rolf Nackerud was
the person responsible for putting the family name on the wall.
Of course, just like his tombstone, he used "Nakkerud" instead of "Nackerud".
family Certificate of Registration at the
American Immigrant Wall of Honor at Ellis Island